Friday, November 9, 2012

Flywheel, clutch, & starter is Installed

The clutch kit came in yesterday, so I pulled the engine back out and installed it last night. It turned into a bit of a job because of the way the engine is oriented. I have moved the lift chains all around and worked with the load leveler, but still can't quite get the angle correct - it is a job to get that engine to line up and bolt in! The flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing installed with no problems. I manually turned the crank and the 4Runner moved forward, so that's a good sign!

Today I installed the starter. It is a high output gear reduction starter for a 98 3.4l Toyota Tacoma. It fits perfectly when installed with the spacer plate supplied with the Acme Adapters kit. I did have to drill out the threads on the lower starter mounting hole so the bolt would thread into the bell housing. 

I also installed the clutch slave cylinder - the pedal has a very nice feel and is not too heavy at all. Feels about like a stock TDI Jetta Clutch. 

I made a mistake when fabricating the engine mounts - the driver side mount is too close to the AC compressor. It lightly hits the center of the AC pulley. This is not the end of the world since I was not going to run AC at first. The center of the pulley only turns when the clutch is engaged. I should be able to fix this fairly easily - I'll just notch the mount holes and move the mount. I only need about 2 or 3 mm to clear the AC clutch.

Acme Adapters did their job - alignment looks dead on!




The driver's side motor mount is a bit close to the AC clutch - needs some adjustment!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a very informative blog post. This helps a lot. Anyway, we have Internet specials at Dodge Clutches. Check them out!

    ReplyDelete