Sunday, November 4, 2012

Engine mount for TDI is done!

This weekend's project was to fabricate the engine mounts for the TDI. I ended up changing my plans some as I went along, but it turned out great - I am very happy with the results! 

I welded a 2" box tube between the frame rails to hold the motor mounts. I am using the factory VW B5 Passat 2.8 V6 hydraulic mounts. They are affordable and should do a good job. Time will tell how well they work, but by moving the engine around by hand, they feel similar to stock VW TDI mounts in a Jetta.

I connected the mounts to the engine by making a brace. It's a similar idea to a motor plate in a race car. I bolted the brace to the existing factory VW bracket on the front of the engine. The round pipe you see in the pictures below is some left over roll cage tubing from my previous Mustang project. This mount/brace is probably overbuilt, but that's better than being inadequate.

In other news, my clutch should be here either tomorrow or Tuesday. I ordered an F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch. The next level up was a 6 puck ceramic clutch, which I do not want for a daily driver. I did not find anything better, so I'll give this a try and hope for the best. 

I also ordered a 1/2 thick laser cut exhaust manifold flange; soon I will be ready to start fabricating the log manifold.








My welding isn't as good as it used to be - I haven't welded in the last 2 years, so I'm a bit out of practice. It'll come back to me soon, though.


2 comments:

  1. Any chance you would be willing to make another mount? I can pay for material and labor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get the dimensions for this motor mount?

    ReplyDelete