Sunday, November 17, 2013

TDI 4Runner Gauges

On past project vehicles, I have always wanted all aftermarket gauges, but never did due to cost. Early on I decided it was going to happen on this 4Runner. There's 8 gauges - oil pressure, pyrometer, boost, volts, RPM, speed, coolant temp, and fuel level. All are AutoMeter except for the Speedhut GPS 0-100 speedometer. I decided to go with Speedhut because they offered what I wanted at a much more affordable price than Autometer. It doesn't match the other gauges perfectly, but it's close enough for me. I'm happy with it. I also added transistor-controlled LEDs for the glow plug and MIL lights, and 2 LEDs for turn signal indicators.

I knew it would be some work to install all these gauges, but I really under estimated it. No idea how many hours I have in the whole setup, but there was a lot of time consumed in making it all look nice, wiring up the lights, powers, grounds, and sensor wires. It was worth it, though; the end result is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to Alchemist from the TDIClub forums for schematic and Jimbote for bringing it to my attention that I'd need to build this circuit.
Yes, there's heat shrink tubing on each individual wire to keep them from touching each other. The large piece of heat shrink tubing on the outside is to keep the unit stationary and add structural strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment