Sunday, February 24, 2013

Modified Stock Intake + Other Updates


Tonight's project was to modify the factory ALH TDI intake. I was a bit worried about welding cast aluminum, but this was cake! It seems that the Germans use good alloys in their castings. Always satisfying when a plan in your head comes together just as planned. Now I just need to get some mandrel bent aluminum pipe to put a curve on the end to point towards the intercooler outlet. 


I welded that with a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 machine at 155 amps. Air cooled torch, gas lens, 21-23 cfm of pure argon gas, 3/32 pure tungsten (green band), and 3/32 aluminum filler rod. More amps would be nice, but I am working off a household dryer circuit, so I'm really pushing the limits of my equipment with aluminum.

In other quick updates, I have started the exhaust system and have the downpipe finished. Now i just need to work on hanging the muffler, making the rest of the bends, going over the axle, etc. All it takes is time!

The radiator came in a couple weeks ago. I modified it to relocate the thermostat outlet hose (radiator inlet) because a rubber radiator hose would rub the steering box. Not much room down there to work with. More on the cooling system soon. Next on that project is to fabricate the mounts for the radiator and then I can start finding/making hoses.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment